Sunday, February 4, 2007

In a world without beliefnet

So I'm reading all this UU History for a class I'm taking this quarter. I've never been a big American history fan. I think American history is boring. Not even genuine drama, just a lot of really stupid and inane bullshit.
But its good that I'm reading this, I guess. Good because maybe someday soon I'll be a major representative of "the faith" or the movement or whatever, and because I've oft advised people not to get involved in something they don't understand, and I've been patently ignoring my own advice for a long time now.

I flirted with Christianity for a while in college. I don't know that anything about it hooked me, per se, in terms of theology. I mean, on my best and most mystical days, I can kind of get behind the idea of "god" or whatever, but the idea that said god would 1) bear a child (to an unwed 13 year old, knowing full well it would freak her shit out and put her in a totally precarious position given the misogynistic mores of the day) 2) off that child in a really horrific way to clense the world of "sin", seems really kind of outlandish. I can see its validity as a cautionary tale, maybe, but I can't buy it.
On the other hand, I can totally buy that there was some guy out in the world who had radical ideas and fucked shit up and got killed by the governement for it, and that the folks who hung out with that guy thought he was so awesome that they started communities dedicated to living life the way he thought it should be lived. So, you know, I dig Jesus and shit.

Anyway, this all relates because I've been reading this history and mostly wondering 1) if it resonates with me at all and 2) if it would have resonated with me 100 years ago. If I didn't have beliefnet to tell me I was a UU, would I be one? a U or a U, that is. Which really means I'm thinking about why I'm a UU. I don't know that I feel some sort of lack in my life without the idea of God, because as I said, I often don't believe in God. But there is something that keeps me attached to this movement, so attached in fact that I am planning on making a living doing it.

So, would I have been a Unitarian or a Universalist? Yeah, probably. Lets keep in mind that I would probably have to at least feign interest in a church, that or risk total marginalization (lets assume that I am a white lady with at least a modicum of class privilege) and because I'm a smart cookie, I'd find one that I could stomach. Probably, I'd be a Universalist. Frankly, I'm a little astounded that whether God is a three-in-one deal or a single being has consumed as much history and controversy as it has. And I'll be blunt, I think most trinitarians are totally fooling themselves, hanging recklessly on to some historical precedent of monotheism. It's probably racism, since most polytheistic religions are the religions of folks of color. But I digress . . . Universalism, on the other hand, well . . .yeah. People are worried about whether they're going to hell (lets assume that I believe, in some way or another, that hell exists. and heaven too) I'd want everyone there with me, in heaven that is, and I think God would too. Come on, God didn't create all this shit just to set it on fire. Or, God did. But God would set it ALL on fire, not just some of it, right?

The funny thing is, of all my important spiritual questions, the two least important are whether God exists (and therefore, also, whether God is multiple personality or just a single crazy guy) and whether heaven exists. But the history of my denomination is built on folks who really did care about this stuff.

I just think its funny.

2 comments:

Sarcastic Lutheran said...

This is a hell of a post sister, well done.
Remind me that we should have a really long theological conversation, becasue I totally love the questions you raise...and yeah trinitarians are totally fooling themselves. It's a collective illusion, but I'm on board with it. It's the folks who don't admit it's a collective illusion who are scary

Rachel said...

welcome to the blog-o-sphere! Found you at sarcastic lutheran, i'll be back. namaste.